Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Like Being Risky


I like France, it's a cool place. However, little things keep popping up that are odd and I'm not prepared for them. For instance, today for dinner there was a fish on my plate. Normal? Not quite. It was a fish with its tail and head cut off..... I had no idea what to do. Yes, I've cleaned fish my brothers and gutted them and what not, but I consider this different. After watching Jane I took the 'skin' off, cut it open, and pulled its little spine out in one go. Then with a chunk of butter she taught me to mush it all up, squeeze a lemon and lime on it, and put it on bread with its little tiny tiny bones and all. I think, in my entire life, that was the most atypical thing I've ever eaten -and I've eaten a lot of different things-. This is but one of the quirky little aspects I've witnessed and/or been apart of.

Another of the sort are the hours in which stores are open; every Sunday and most of Monday -if not the entirety of Monday- almost EVERY store and cafe/pub is closed. It's depressing a bit and I don't understand why.

One thing I have figured out -the hard way- is the game I like to call “Let's Get Risky.” Don't buy a train ticket, and see if you can get to and fro without someone catching you. It's very exciting! And if you do get caught you don't get in trouble, you just have to buy a ticket. I have saved A LOT of money getting on a train without a ticket and hoping someone doesn't ask to see my ticket, which has been 8 out of 10 times. So the odds have been in my favor. It's actually quite liberating making a train just on time and the only reason is because the universe spat some luck on you while you were literally running to the train, hopping on, and it departing in that instant. The only times I have ever run since I got here, have been to make the train as it leaves. It's such a good feeling, it's my version of an adrenaline rush over here.

There is one thing I'd like to address: PDA is normal for everyone. I remember my first day when I was still en route to my house and I had a pit stop at a train station, there were two young adults -14 or 15- completely making out for a solid 20 minutes. I was astonished at first but then I thought, they're young, every high schooler at that age is crazy hormonal and has the 'fuck the world' attitude so I understood. I thought I understood. I had yet to understand. Little by little, I noticed I was the only one walking around without a plus one... in Amboise, Paris, Blois, Tours, and everywhere else. There is nothing like being in France to make you realize how single you are; after passing by the 8th couple making out in public I had been desensitized.

Also, there are many more interracial couples in France than I have ever seen in America, ever. A petite blond girl with a dark Arab, a ginger guy with an African lady, a latin midget with an Asian, and the list goes on. It made me realize how openly accepting everyone -at least in France and especially Paris- is. In America -in my experiences anyway- if someone mentions that so and so is dating a black guy/girl it's cuz 'they've got that jungle fever.' Or since someone is dating a latin person, it's because 'they like that extra spicy flavor.' Here, no one cares who you're dating. As long as you're A) not a douche bag B) dress everyday like you actually care C) are useful to society and D) an all around good person, you can date whomever you'd like. It's refreshing. Btw, the mixed babies are super cute, and with that little French voice a 6 year old can make me swoon if he's being polite.

I have developed a theory about quiche that is the same about my theory on pizza: “Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough.” Oh yea, quiche is. Awesome.

Funny French joke:
What did the Frenchman say when he stubbed his toe? “Oh! Le pain!”
It's ok to laugh and admit that was funny.  



French ladies from the 20s. You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment