Sunday, February 16, 2014

Paris Fills Your Heart... And Hurts Your Legs


Ever since I can remember I have been a traveler of sorts. Family vacations to the Grand Canyon -hated it at the time but in retrospect it was really cool. I was just too fat, greasy (puberty time), lazy, and stuck with four other pubescent boys to realize how cool it was-, Niagara Falls, NYC and Disney World for performing, and layovers with my dad in San Fran, Salt Lake City, or Mexico. This list could go on, but Paris is a city that is unlike any other I have visited.
I left on the train immediately after school was over, my friend living in the city, Megan, and I had a rendez-vous point and time but no means of contact or communication with each other: 6:00pm, at the Chapel St. Louis. It was late evening when I got off the train looking for this place, it was my first time actually being in the city and I had only photos off of google maps that I took 4 hours earlier. Of course I couldn't find it -even though I was exactly where the map said I should be- and no one knew or had even heard of this church. With dusk approaching I was reaching an anxiety level -similar to the kind I get when I have to deal with train station- and decided to ask a security guard where to go. He had no idea where this church was, had to pull out another map, and pointed the way. Turns out, it was attached to a hospital and further from the main road than Megan and I had thought. I arrived at 6pm on the dot and tried to find some wifi to send her a FB message. None. No one is around and it's getting dark. “Shit.” Immediately after, off in the distance “Mica!”. Seeing her face had melted all my anxiety and worries away, I was safe with my foreign Parisienne.
Notre Dame Altar
The Metro is the heart beat of traveling in Paris: its beat is the train that comes every five minutes to every stop, and the blood coursing through its veins are the people flowing in and out, rushing down the stairs to catch it on time or curse fate for being those precious two seconds late. I experienced the Metro for the first time on a Friday evening, during rush hour, on Valentines Day. Yes, the Parisiennes celebrate Vday with flowers and happy things like we do, only its not as commercialized. The phrase “packed like sardines in a can” had never been so applicable to my life. I was sitting on the last seat available, Megan got shoved standing behind me yonder, people were standing shoulder to shoulder, and I had man crotch in my face. I couldn't escape. But, the man crotch came attached to an incredibly attractive gentleman -positive thinking folks-. After making one more connection we were on a 5 minute walk to her home where her host lady welcomed me with warm, sassy, and food filled arms. -side note: the metro is a lot easier than the subway in NYC-

The hangover the next morning from the Green Bay Packer bar was everything I hoped it wouldn't be, but it was nothing a quiche and cappuccino with a cute server couldn't fix. After some french nourishment Megan led the way to the Eiffel Tower, L'Arc de Triumph, Le Champs Elysee -which makes you feel wonderfully expensive just walking-, and the Moulin Rouge. Everything was awesome. Everything. 

We however hit a road bump when trying to find the Moulin Rouge. First: it isn't indicated where to find it specifically on the Paris map -an extremely common one- we had. Second: it took us 45 minutes walking in the wrong direction to figure out that North and South were opposite on the map. The streets on that side of town are comparable to those in San Fran, incredibly hilly, steep, and there are a lot of them. By the time we found the Moulin Rouge it was almost dark and my body felt comparable to what it feels like after running a 5k. We were exhausted. It was also there we found a Metro hookup in the heart of it all.... kill us now. -for all you future Paris travelers, Blanche is the Metro stop literally at the Moulin Rouge, so get off there and avoid what we had to go through-.


Around 8pm we arrived back to Megan's side of town and had dinner -can't remember the name of the establishment- around the corner from her house. America, I'm not sorry: this joint gave me the best burger I had ever had. Ever. It wasn't dripping with grease, but it melted like buttah in my mouth, and the man who owned the place makes his own buns -he was so excited to tell us that-. So, Paris wins at burgers.

The next morning Megan took me to the farmer's market two blocks away. I was not ready, nor could I have prepared myself for what I would experience. If you've seen Aladdin, you would know the scene when Jasmin is in the market place and a man throws a fish in her face yelling “Fresh fish! We catch em you by em!” followed by other shocking events she witnesses. Well this farmers market was like that. If you ever want to see 5 octopi, 3 fish as long as your legs, and clams next to deodorant, body wash, and makeup next to cheese blocks bigger than a car battery, 20 different kinds of bread, and pastries next to bras and underwear next to children's books next to all the veggies known to man, next to jewelry, then this is the place for you. As confusing as I'm sure that was to read, actually being at one took me off guard. Rows, upon rows, upon rows of stands selling their specialties on a sunday morning to a full crowd trying to shuffle their way through to get what they want. After being led through the market was I ready to choose what I wanted: a sweater, a scarf, a lemon tart, an orange, hair pins, and a children's book. It was the coolest farmers market I have ever seen.

We dropped our loot off at Megan's house and made our way over to Notre Dame. It was astonishing. It's sheer size and detail was magnificent. We made plans to return for a Gregorian mass in the future. Because when am I ever going to be able to go to a Gregorian mass at Notre Dame again? If I can do it on Easter that'll be my own personal jackpot.

Just two bridges down from Notre Dame is Le Pont des Arts. I have come to call it the Lover's Bridge. Here, two people in love can write their name on a lock -if they wish-, lock it onto the bridge together, and throw the keys into the Seine representing their ever lasting love. Walking on the bridge, there was a old man playing his french accordion music creating an atmosphere I'd only ever seen in movies.  
This city was an adventure. Only good things happened <3
End blog 5.

1 comment: