Sunday, April 27, 2014

Only Speak English? No Problem!

English truly is the universal language. Most people under the age the of 30 -I only met two who didn't know english- can speak fluent english and most with an American accent, I can count on one hand how many second language British english I have come across. When out in public with friends from other countries, we speak to the French and they can immediately tell it isn't our first language -obviously the accents- and then they switch to english. Not all the time, but most. I have watched a Brazilian, Colombian, Japanese, and Austrian speak to a Frenchman and switch to english. ALMOST EVERYONE* KNOWS IT. It's the automatic language people switch to when foreigners communicate with some difficulty. The french know instantly I speak english no matter how hard I try to conceal my accent -it's the R sound- and they'll switch, it's gotten to the point that I'll respond the first few sentences to english but then I'll go back to french because that's what I'm here for dammit. Among students also, english is used A LOT. American music is all over public radio, when I hear french music in public I get excited. 

In a lot of schools -I have learned- it's a requirement to start learning english at a young age. People have asked me why a majority of Americans don't know a second language -fluently- because we seem to be the only country like that. I tell them in America, it's not required from a young age to learn any language -generally-. In high school, yes you need to have at least two years in order to graduate, but that kind of learning will get you by being a polite tourist. We don't have the need to learn a second language because our country is so large and everyone in it speaks the same language. In the amount of time it'll take me to drive to Idaho this summer, I could drive from here in Amboise to Karlovac, Croatia which is still 35 miles shorter but still 4-5 countries away -depending on the route you take-. Point is: with that amount of distance my destination will still have the same culture, language, and laws -relatively speaking-. We don't have the necessity to speak a second language. Now, if you live in the states boarding Mexico, yea it's a smart idea to learn some spanish, and a lot people in the north east know french because of the Canadian influence. But as a population in general, Americans don't speak a second language. I know a lot of you at home might be reading this and want to argue some of these points but I'm speaking in general terms. If you plop a German in Tennessee he's pretty much going to be forced to speak english, and good luck to that guy because he might have some trouble with that southern accent they've got goin on. 

If you have fears of traveling to Europe because you don't speak the language of your destination I promise you, you will be fine. I knew a Japanese girl who went to Paris and she communicated to everyone with english because, like I said, everyone* knows it. Even in small towns that are tourist destinations most will know english, it will be a little more broken than the english you'll find in a major city but communication is still attainable. 
Yesterday I went to Loche, it has a castle and dungeon and other cool stuff. As I sat waiting for the return bus to the train station to get me home, a 60-something old lady sat down next to me and she just started talking to me. We talked about Loche, how beautiful it was, how she was waiting for her grand daughter to arrive, how she was going to take her to the castle the next day, how she loved Amboise, and she was funny. She was one of the nicest old ladies I've had the pleasure of speaking with. The best part about this to me: she was a stranger. She didn't ask where I was from or about my accent until the very end of the conversation, and she was so happy about everything. When her grand daughter arrived she left, it was a wonderful treat the universe plopped on me. It cashed in a few of those good karma points.

As for today, it has been raining since morning. I'm sitting on the glass terrace listening to the rain with my favorite kitty next to me, writing some postcards -I have sent over 100-, drinking some warm apple cider, while wearing my PJs. Things aren't so shabby <3

Mr. Zen. My favorite of the three cats.




Le Jardin. 










*= Generally speaking=most of the time

No comments:

Post a Comment